Monday, November 17, 2014

Sour Patch Faith

Tonight I tried something new. My youngest daughter left a package of Sour Patch candies on my writing desk. I have never been tempted to eat this particular treat, lol, but my stomach was a bit upset and I thought the sourness might help. As I nibbled on the sour/sweet candy, I was surprised at how the two opposite tastes came together to make for a flavorful sensation. It struck me, suddenly, that life is like this sometimes in our walk as Christians. We have the sour, we have the sweet, and when we are able to see them both as equally from the Hand of God, we find that life has a pleasant balance.

The times in my life that I have been closest to God are the times when it was hardest to keep going, one foot in front of the other. I love being a happy person, and smiling, being positive, just enjoying being alive. But it is in the hurt, the fear, the loneliness that lasts all night long, when I feel totally abandoned and rejected...that is when the presence of God shines brightest for me.

If you are going through a sour time in your life, if it feels like there is no sweetness left in your world, take heart, my friend. God sees you. He feels your pain. And whether you feel Him or not, whether you see Him or not, HE IS THERE.

HE is GOD. HE is there for you. He will not ever walk away.

Faith that exists only in good times is a very shallow, superficial faith. The faith that stands the test of time, that faith, comes only after being tested in the hottest of fires. You are seen tonight. Wherever you are....alone in your room, out in a crowd of faces, with a husband or wife, with your children, in a hospital bed, in church, even...wherever you are, He is right there with you.

Take heart. Sour Patch faith isn't for cowards. You are strong, and you will come out of this victorious. I promise you that.



No comments:

Post a Comment